In this article, I am going to be talking all about the very amazing mountain of Kilimanjaro. It has risen majestically above the African planes at around 20,000 feet, and Mount Kilimanjaro has actually beckoned the climbers since its first-ever recorded summit in the year 1889. Here are some amazing facts about this spectacular landmark.
1. Approximately, more than 25,000 people have attempted to climb Mount Kilimanjaro at least every single year. More than two-thirds of people are actually successful. Basically, unless you are a trained to withstand the altitude-related problems, you cannot climb this mountain. A lot of people turn back, because of altitude sickness. You need to understand that you need to train months in advance if you want to successfully climb a mountain like Mount Kilimanjaro.
2. There was a South African person who actually scaled Mount Kilimanjaro twice in a wheelchair. His first summit was in the year 2003, and it took him nine days. His second summit was four years later, and it took him six days. This individual was actually born with cerebral palsy, and he makes use of a modified wheelchair.
3. This of the mountains are actually diminishing, and it has lost more than 80% of the snow. In fact, the mountain may actually completely become ice-free in the next 20 years.
4. If we are talking about the fastest verified ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro, we should look at a case in the year 2001, when an Italian individual reached the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro in just five hours, 38 minutes and 40 seconds. This was certainly a record-breaking number. The fastest round trip was accomplished in the year 2004, when a local guide went up and down the mountain in just 8 hours and 27 minutes.
5. It is also interesting to know that almost every single ecological system is found on the mountain.
6. The oldest person to ever summit the mountain was actually an 87-year-old French man.
7. Almost every single climber who has summited the peak, the highest summit on the crater rim, has actually recorded their thoughts about the accomplishment in a book stored in a wooden box at the very top. So basically, when you go there, you will see a couple of wooden boxes, here and there. Make sure that you don’t touch them.
8. Mount Kilimanjaro happens to be the tallest mountain in the entire African continent and is also the highest freestanding mountain in the entire world.